Although the percentage of internet-usage in China is lower than in the Western world, it has been doubling over the past 3 years to over 470 million net users as of mid-2011. Of that, almost half use online message boards and about a quarter are actively contributing to blogs. Thequick emergence of online-savvy consumers has created the presence of online retail platforms that rival Ebay and Amazon. The high level of online engagement in China means that the impact of virtual information sharing is significantly greater than other modes of communication for companies and brands that want to connect with consumers. When approaching online strategy we help clients realize:
- What types of conversations are consumers holding when discussing your brand?
- Who are the leading influencers when it comes to online discussions of your service or product offerings?
- What marketing tactics can be put into place to direct online consumer interests?
- How do you best work with distributors?
- What are the online dynamics and internet usages of target consumers?
- What online channels are used for my company's area of interest?
- How should you structure your e-commerce platforms to cater to the Chinese community?
- Should your company be listed on a pre-existing retail platform or as an independent entity?
"We had originally planned on opening an e-commerce store on one of the largest retail platforms in China, but realized that in order to preserve certain aspects of our brand, it was necessary to pursue alternative online spaces."
-Head of BD, Fortune 500 Retail Company